Search This Blog

Friday, March 4, 2011

Thing 5: LinkedIn

I came across CollegeDegree (http://www.collegedegree.com/library/financial-aid/25-useful-social-networking-tools-for-librarians). Their post, dated Wednesday, February 20, 2008, listed networking tools that allow librarians to connect to others professionally, both with other librarians, as well as patrons.
Number 6 on their list is LinkedIn (http://www.linkedin.com/). They have two different accounts available: premium for $24.95/mo and basic, which allows some free activity, but is greatly restricted. I joined the free account. It allowed me to create a profile and start building a network of people I know through my email connections. I also was able to search out librarian and IT groups to join. I found six that I intend to follow. It allows for search and application to jobs that become available. I don't intend to take advantage of that part, but you just never know what you may need to do! This site also limits access to who views your account and viewing others' profiles and accounts, and allows you to go mobile.
You are welcome to view my site. Click on the name of my posting above and it will take you there.
I definitely feel this can be used in my position for professional connections within and outside the library community. But I will admit to only feeling 'so-so' about this site, especially since it is limited and the monthly cost is high. I will follow it for a bit to see if it is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment