Search This Blog

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Thing 4: Directory 2.0

This was listed as Thing #66 on ExploreDiscoverPlay (http://explorediscoverplay.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default). Two sites allow you to access and organize your favorite sites on to one page. In fact, at the end of this activity, I made one of them my homepage. I'm thinking of using this as my 'show & tell' item.

The assignment for this project is to view both directory sites, All My Faves and 43 Marks, and sign up for 43 Marks to make a homepage. I did view both sites, but decided to go with All My Faves instead. I am very visual and prefer this site because it uses logos. It also is currently in the process of making this available for access from your blogsite as a visual blogroll. I can see this being used in a library setting for an easy directory to different educational sites on the library's main website page.

The first site, All My Faves (http://allmyfaves.com/), uses icons or logos to mark a directory site and it offers tons of categories to choose from to group them in. Just a sampling of categories include: Kindle, banks, magazines, cellular, jobs, real estate, translations, and games. It also includes a way to make a mini-favs page for those who'd like to have a page devoted to one subject area, like...say... knitting or camping. Also, All My Faves provides global access from computers and mobile devices, including iPhone and touch screens.

The second site, 43 Marks (http://43marks.com/), is a directory, too, but it uses names instead of icons from sites so you can customize it. You can also add rss feeds and site groups. 43 Marks just felt so 'plain Jane' in comparison to the other site.

Hands down, All My Faves IS my favorite. Since I am so visual, I can now go to this new homepage and find where I want to go quickly. I was especially pleased to see that it would allow me to add Blogger, too, which will save time. I hope to investigate this more to see how feasible it is to add to a library website...or if I can at all. I'm not sure if the county I work for will allow it. But I certainly will love accessing all of my favorite booksites from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment