Search This Blog

Friday, April 29, 2011

Final Reflections on Library/Information Centers' Visits

What I have learned about myself in this project is that I am a 'people' person. Not that I didn't know this before the assignment, but it definitely reinforced it and defined it more for me. I prefer working and talking with people instead of individualized, independent desk work. People and materials, not people or materials. Of all the librarians I spoke with, I could relate the most to the middle school librarian, Ms. Loper. Yes, possibly because it is the job I'm actually in right now as an elementary librarian. It is what I've always wanted to do. I found it interesting that several librarians laughed when considering the idea of working with children. They knew that adults were a better fit for them. I recall thinking quietly to myself how I understood that feeling, except that I had the same feeling about my fit with children. One way the jobs were all similar, though...adult, teen, OR child...is that we don't know what we'll face from day to day. That's the excitement of it. It is always a surprise, never boring, always interesting. And nothing is ever quite as special as the 'one' book a child is excited to share with me.

Though this project was a lot of work, it was one of my favorites. I have had other assignments at some libraries, but not as diversified as the library types we had listed for this class. Every time I visited another library, I was blown away by what I didn't know (that I thought I knew), ranging from the magnitude of the job, to the vocabulary used in the job.
But what I was MOST impressed with was each librarian I met. They knew I wanted to learn. Not a single one of them found me to be a hinderance. None of them complained about my interests, questions, or ignorance. They were pleasant, patient, and kind. Most came into being a librarian from another profession or from different stages in their lives. All had interesting and colorful backgrounds. Almost all had travelled extensively within some time period of their lives, only adding to their knowledge base and diversity. I spent no less than two hours at each library, and at most of them I spent more. But I enjoyed myself so much that the time slipped away quickly. I arrived home re-energized and excited to tell my husband about what I'd learned and heard. There is a quote I've often seen about the 'wild' librarians in the library. I would have to say it is right on target with the folks I was fortunate to meet in this project. Every single one of them should be writing a book!

What I am really most grateful for with this assignment is my new network of librarian friends I have made and my newly-found stock of resources at each library. Thank you for this class experience and the positive influence I feel it has made in my life and my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment